Monday, January 19, 2009

Northern Sojourn: Day 4

Early morning, rise and shine. I sincerely didn't want to get out of bed. After the Contessa the night before, I just had the best night for the last 4 months with my beloved, my blanket. But like all good things, this had to end. Sadly I had to bid goodbye, and this would remain, a one night stand.
The most entertaining part of the morning was this incident.
After having rum the previous day, we all were very happy and warm. Early morning, while we were brushing our teeth, Parag went to Nippa and asked him for the toothpaste. Nippa was sleepy and so was Parag. In this daze, Nippa extracted the tube of Odomos from my pouch and handed it to Parag. Parag blissfully unaware, used the Odomos, and after 5 mins he realised that his toothpaste had no froth. We were rofl so hard we had to hold our stomachs for an hour. Parag is know re-christened "GODOMOS".
Somehow, I picked myself up, and after an eventful bus ride from Shivpuri to Rishikesh and a connecting ride from Rishikesh to Haridwar, we reached Hotel Alaknanda. This was where we would stay for the next two days.
The ride was eventful. One idiotic and clumsy gentleman on the bus managed to bang his very heavy bag right on my head, and went off without batting an eyelid. This led to the invocation of the word "JhatBuddhi". Another one of my creations, added to our Group patent.
We entered the Hotel lobby not knowing what to expect. But once we crossed the lobby, we fell in love with the place. The rooms were just the right size, with all the amenities one could ask for. The hotel led to a ghat on the banks of the river Ganga on the far side. One could sit there all day watching the mighty river flow.
I admit I spent about 3 hrs in total at the ghat doing something all my friends despised and which I myself have laughed off several times in the past.
But all in all, the effect was brilliant.
We spent the afternoon watching a very old movie starring Sanjeev Kumar and Sharmila Tagore. We were all particularly impressed by the style of swearing used by Sanjeev Kumar. "Teri Maa ka".
All the others except me, Nippa and Prateek had gone to see the Evening Aarti of the Ganga. After that it was dinner at the "Asli Mashoor Chotiwala" consisting of Aloo Parathas. Back to the hotel and retired for the day. The bright spot of the day was when Nippa found a packet of Menthols for Prateek. Suddenly the two of them were the best of friends and all animosity was forgotten.

No comments: