Saturday, July 12, 2008

HappYness in Chaos.

Thomas Jefferson and the chaos theory aren't two names one would expect to hear in the same breath(figuratively which is saying that they aren't expected to be seen in the same sentence).
The pioneer and the chief author of the American Independence, while drafting the Declaration of American Independence, chose these very words and here I quote "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."
The pursuit of Happiness, the American Dream. I watched a movie starring Will Smith with the title The Pursuit of Happyness. The spelling error being a deliberate reference to an incident in the movie. Despite all cliches about people having to fight and ultimately win and all other bull crap, this movie is brilliant. Will Smith for one moment does not strike you as Will Smith. From the minute the movie starts, to the end, he is Chris Gardner. He blends into the role seamlessly and displays all the emotions of a man who is a victim of circumstance, stricken with poverty, homeless, yet with the fight, the bottle, the conviction and the courage to claim his federal, his divine right, The pursuit of happiness. There is no divine intervention in this movie, not for one second do you feel like, " aw...there you go, that never happens does it". Everything real, all the emotions, the situations and the characters.
Watching such movies makes you feel so much better about your lives. Must watch.
Now I come to the latter name in my opening sentence. The chaos theory.
The Chaos theory, in principle, explains the behavior of certain systems whose state evolves with time. It can be explained in a gist as "Something as tiny, as inconsequential (to the unaware) as the flutter of a Butterfly, can have an effect as gigantic as a typhoon halfway round the world." Now simply, I state this because I watched another movie today, called "The Butterfly Effect". Now if I could, I definitely would like to give a spoiler of this movie, but this sci-fi fantasy flick is so brilliantly written that I could go on and there would be no end. So simply check out the story on Wiki.
All I'd like to comment is, Ashton Kutcher is one dude who can play such roles effortlessly. I've watched a few of his movies, and believe me, this guys got much more behind him than just being Demi Moore's boyfriend.
Another movie to catch.
Two movies heavy on EQ definitely seem to have taken their toll on my emotional well being. But watching such movies makes me view our people as generally shallow.
People wallowing endlessly about a Hindi movie I paid 180 bucks to watch the other day. It stars the nephew of a prominent star and is a teenie flick. Everyone around me left, right and centre has being harping about the movie and people even have their Orkut display names proclaiming the name of the movie. I frankly did not find the movie to be an intelligent one or for that matter brilliant. The only brilliant actor in the movie was in a bit part role playing the brother of the leading lady.
Such movies put into perspective the depth of thought of the people of my generation. But these people form the vast majority. Makes me wonder who watches the kind of films like the previous ones anyways.

1 comment:

|Ashwini Shenoy| |Advocatus Diaboli| |Rusty Writing| said...

lets say there is a consensus ad idem on this particular post:)