Thursday, July 10, 2008

Manmohan Singh - Duke Nukem Ph.D?

Over the past few months, all the media and the common man on the street have been talking about ( apart from the occasional babes and inflation) is the Indo-US nuclear deal.
Absurd though it may appear, I at the outset, firmly believed (with utmost conviction) that the deal was a horrible brokering of our country's Nuclear Independence and Development.
It kind of felt like Manmohan Singh was Yudhisthir, India was Draupadi, and the IAEA as Duryodhana egged on by the evil mamu Sakuni, Uncle Sam. Remember the epic dice game!
I do have a very vivid imagination, and I do exhibit a blatant exhibition of it in the above citing.
Point to be driven home being that, something wasn't right. I was of the opinion that since the deal would inhibit the nuclear sovereignty of the nation, we should have rejected it at first go.
Week after week, I heard opinion after opinion, still unable to form one of my own.
Until recently that is. When Dr. A.P.J.Abdul Kalam comes out and says that this deal should go through, I guess it is hard to speak out against it. Not only because of the undoubted brilliance of the man, but also his unwavering integrity and his credibility. A man of his stature does not comment on any issue without putting in serious thought.
That for me was enough to swing my vote the Nuke deal way. I admire and completely respect Dr. Kalam and for me his word is final. Period.
Circa July 2008, the left shake their collective fists (pun on the word collective) at the congress and withdraw support. Enter Vote of Trust.
Now, as a first time voter, I ought to be enthralled and excited by the possibility of the nation going to polls so early.
But, if truth be told, I am not. The elections will cost the nation a bomb, destroy the image of the country in the International Community and worst of all, give all the unsocial elements free reign to wag their puny tails.
A few crores will change hands ( and probably bags) reach the homes of certain people ( read MP) and the vote of trust will become a farce.
Either ways, the trust is directly proportional to the number of Gandhi's in the bag. And there's two Gandhis on the outside who can affect that. All that remains to be seen is will the Green Gandhi's turn the tide in favor of their namesakes or against them.

1 comment:

mumofason said...

lol @ "Green Gandhis " Your insight is amazing Devrat! Kudos! :D