Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Singularity

Just the other day, I recieved the June copy of IEEE spectrum. Apart from some thought provoking and some ultra techno-crap-call it what you may stuff, the cover story read Singularity. Now this was something that caught my eye.

For the uninitiated, singularity is a concept which is applicable in a wide range of topics. Basically, a plethora of conceptual pot-pourri. Singularity, for example, can mean a mathematical singularity wherein a mathematical object cannot exist at a given point. ( Learnt that in semester 4, I did). It can also mean a Gravitational singularity wherein it refers to a point at which an object has infinte mass and zero volume due to gravitational peculiarities. Apologies for the digression.
But as I read on, I soon learnt that the singularity in question here was the one pertaining to artificial intelligence. The article said that over the years, as humans have ceaselessly worked to create A.I, we have slowly but surely increased the capabilities to such an extent, that soon it will be beyond the ken of man to control these machines. The singularity will occur when Artificial intelligence matches human intelligence.
That had me thinking. It's all okay to say that A.I. will not reach our I.Q levels for a long time. But that refers to us (bless me) higher intellectuals. What about those unfortunate few who have brains the size of walnuts and could probably draw a game of chess with a grizzly?
The singularity has passed for these citizens and they are being over-awed by these machines.
We should talk to these victims of the Intelligence shift and gauge the effects of the singularity. It would be a momentous thesis, enabling us higher mortals to endure the celestial A.I. singularity if and when it exists.
If this does go through, will I, like Hawking before me, enter the realms of science history as an immortal. It's up for debate. Don't bet against it though.

1 comment:

yash ukidave said...

Singularity is bound to occur as the A.I is not the person but only the thought.

A.I is only a reflection of some human & his ideas & behaviour; a hard disk to store yourself....hence if u r not goin to do somethin same is your A.I

A.I will continue to be the quest of immortality for the mortal human.

a reflection which can think like the human...nothing else...empty..and non existent...just a singularity!